Best Pick for the Grand National ??????

Share your opinions & predictions on football teams, horse racing, etc. Or just chat about the sports.
The Fox
The Nuts
The Nuts

Best Pick for the Grand National ??????

Postby The Fox » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:07 am

So let's be having some advice for me...the Novice.

What's the best bet for the Grand National this weekend. It is the only Horse race where I have a bet every year and as most will know my knowledge about geegee's is Ziltch.

So what's your best advice and general guidance for the big race on Saturday???????
https://www.facebook.com/awoplive/

all in blind
Straight Flush
Straight Flush

Re: Best Pick for the Grand National ??????

Postby all in blind » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:03 am

Gone are the days when you could discount more than half of the field for being out of the handicap at your peril. Today it's a super competitive handicap with those at the top of the weights having as much chance of those at the bottom.

My current picks are : Pineau de Re , The Package , Lord Windermere ( trainer hasn't had a single winner all season) , Soll , Unioniste and Balthazar King. Will whittle it down to 3 after seeing the going ( state of the ground)on Friday.

Advice : Don't back each way , most bookies pay on the first 4 ( P.P. 5 places ) but there are 40 horses , 16 runner races also pay 4 places !! Better to have 2 selections to win than one selection each way. Shuthefrontdoor has a chance but I reckon it will go off ridiculously short probably 7/2 based on the jockey. Back it now at 15/2 and lay it off on Betfair.

PS , my last Grand National winner was 15 years ago !! I have backed probably over 50 horses since and none have even come in the first 4 !! If I back the winner I'll see you next week at Didsbury .GL all.
'Adu 'Aduyi Hooweh Ssadikki

The Fox
The Nuts
The Nuts

Postby The Fox » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:20 am

Thanks AIB... Not sure what for cos my head's a mess already. I always bet each way in the GN now your suggesting I don't....booooooo

I'm probabaly loike 80% of punters and pick 4/5 horses and have a £5/10 each way on them. Now is that the wrong thing to do????

Jackpot
The Nuts
The Nuts

Postby Jackpot » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:23 am

The Fox wrote:Thanks AIB... Not sure what for cos my head's a mess already. I always bet each way in the GN now your suggesting I don't....booooooo

I'm probabaly loike 80% of punters and pick 4/5 horses and have a £5/10 each way on them. Now is that the wrong thing to do????
Agree with not backing each way BUT thats mainly depends on how much your putting on, your stakes Mr Fox are ok for e/way... I would not back anything over 33/1, most shops are only paying on the 1st 4 including lads willhill corrals ect.. Bet Vitor online are paying on the 1st "6"... I must addmit i"v done a lot better than allinb over the years :lol: so these are the 3 for me Alvarado,Soll and Al Co 3 x £20 wins, not sure about Soll now :) I know a guy who as backed ever winner over the last 20 years or so and he"s not the only one, but it dose help when you back ever horse in the race :).... Ps if any one is betting today on the National more so win only bets, will hill the only one with Gtd odds.

muppet number 2
Four of a Kind
Four of a Kind

Postby muppet number 2 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:48 am

My lads won the last 2 years. he gets a gut feeling and this year he is having £40 on Mon Peg Dude can't see it myself but the last time I won On the National was 1987. Some crazy German lady in Skipton gave me that one.

The Fox
The Nuts
The Nuts

Postby The Fox » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:26 pm

Just back from the Eye Clinic so excuse me if me typing's a bit squiffy.

Thanks JP and Mr M...like the sound of ALCO...wonder why...hehehe. Think that will deffo be a tenner e/w. As for others I will reserve judgement....if you can call it that till nearer the race and see what other tips are hot to trot.

andywatson
Two Pair
Two Pair

Postby andywatson » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:01 pm

I still remember carefully putting £100 on the bedside table before going out. It was destined for Seagram to win @ 14s. Unfortunately I had such a good night out I slept through the entire day, waking in time to watch it romp home. :roll:

The Fox
The Nuts
The Nuts

Postby The Fox » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:32 pm

andywatson wrote:I still remember carefully putting £100 on the bedside table before going out. It was destined for Seagram to win @ 14s. Unfortunately I had such a good night out I slept through the entire day, waking in time to watch it romp home. :roll:

That drinking larks not all it's made out to be Mr W...let me know what you're thinking of backing so I can pick one for luck...cos that's all I got. :)

Jackpot
The Nuts
The Nuts

Postby Jackpot » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:23 pm

Here"s one Mr Fox if you are close to a Will Hill shop, pop in and have £10/£5 or even less on the Yes/No coupon at 33/1 for a bit of FUN :P

The Fox
The Nuts
The Nuts

Postby The Fox » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:25 pm

Jackpot wrote:Here"s one Mr Fox if you are close to a Will Hill shop, pop in and have £10/£5 or even less on the Yes/No coupon at 33/1 for a bit of FUN :P

Never been in a Will Hill shop in my life and not sure what a YES/NO coupon is TBH...sounds like a disease.

Jackpot
The Nuts
The Nuts

Postby Jackpot » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:58 pm

6 :?: like, will their be 17 finishers or less :?: or more :?:. Will the winner be 20/1 or higher :?: or lower :?: Just tick the correct box Yes or No...

The Fox
The Nuts
The Nuts

Postby The Fox » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:19 pm

Jackpot wrote:6 :?: like, will their be 17 finishers or less :?: or more :?:. Will the winner be 20/1 or higher :?: or lower :?: Just tick the correct box Yes or No...

So you need to get all 6 questions correct?

ShaneG
Two Pair
Two Pair

Postby ShaneG » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:25 pm

muppet number 2 wrote:My lads won the last 2 years. he gets a gut feeling and this year he is having £40 on Mon Peg Dude can't see it myself but the last time I won On the National was 1987. Some crazy German lady in Skipton gave me that one.

Think I will jump on this too, also think I will get on the grandson Tom Scudamore who is on Soll, he won today on a 25/1 shot and the horse he rides in the national looks a better shout.

I Know f all to do with horses but won 2k a couple years back betting 20 quid on Auroras Encore at just under 100/1 following a tip from Dale Tempest.

The Fox
The Nuts
The Nuts

Postby The Fox » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:51 am

Got to have a bet on AL CO so that will be me wild card at a Fiver E/W and SOLL and ROCKY CREEK are the 2 fancies for a Tenner E/W.

So £50 outlay which is more than I normally bet...good luck me. :D :D :D

Job Done on Paddy Power. :D :D :D

Jackpot
The Nuts
The Nuts

Postby Jackpot » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:54 am

The Fox wrote:Got to have a bet on AL CO so that will be me wild card at a Fiver E/W and SOLL and ROCKY CREEK are the 2 fancies for a Tenner E/W.

Good Luck but mainly with Soll :band:

The Fox
The Nuts
The Nuts

Postby The Fox » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:55 pm

Yup...good luck to you to JP....and everyone else...let's hope we do some Bookie bashing. :D :D :D

all in blind
Straight Flush
Straight Flush

Postby all in blind » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:42 pm

all in blind wrote:
PS , my last Grand National winner was 15 years ago !! I have backed probably over 50 horses since and none have even come in the first 4 !!

I backed 4 in the end , all unplaced.

At least I am consistent.

I'll get it all back with interest in the 2000 Guineas in a couple of weeks at Newmarket.

andywatson
Two Pair
Two Pair

Postby andywatson » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:25 pm

The Fox wrote:Got to have a bet on AL CO so that will be me wild card at a Fiver E/W and SOLL and ROCKY CREEK are the 2 fancies for a Tenner E/W.

They were my 2 picks in the end, but I am busy doing some work on the house, and couldn't really take a break to get my bet on. Ah well, money not lost is the same as money won! :D

The Fox
The Nuts
The Nuts

Postby The Fox » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:30 pm

Horse betting is sheite...that bloody AL CO fell at the first...no one even mentioned the winner.. booooooooooooooo. :( :( :(

Oh and by the way that Rory McIllroy is another donkey. :( :( :(

all in blind
Straight Flush
Straight Flush

Postby all in blind » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:27 pm

The winner was very backable , he won a decent Hennessey. His odds were a little too big owing to a disappointing Gold cup. Well done to those who backed him.

On a different note. What a bunch of greedy tw@ts the bookies are. This morning they were going 10/1 the field. At the off there were 5 !!!! horses at 10/1 and under !! This annual practice of shortening most of the field at the off is simply ripping off the punters , most of whom are once a year clueless gamblers. The eventual over round book was a whopping 165% , much bigger than previous years.

On another different note , the trifecta had a rollover of £58K. Along with all the other rolled over pools over the next coming 6 days , the rollover pool is gonna be huge. Its one of the best horse racing bets of the week. Nobody talks about it and the bookies don't tell the public. Its relatively easy to get the bet up too. I have a strong feeling it'll be the Scottish National at Ayr next week but you'll need to ring up the Tote to find out.

Return to “Sports Chat & Betting Tips”